The Academy's primary rehearsal and performance venue is St John's Church in Wimbledon.
The proportions of St John’s Church - and in particular its fine barrel roof - generate a pure and very enjoyable acoustic with just the resonance that is needed to give bloom to the sound without loss of clarity. Notes can be heard throughout the building, however quietly they are played or sung.
The interior of the building is also visually attractive, conveying a sense of space, proportion and peace. The architect, Sir Thomas Jackson, went on to design more buildings at Oxford than any other architect, before or since, including the Bridge of Sighs and the Examination Schools, as well as saving Winchester Cathedral from collapse.
Consecrated in 1875, the church contains windows and other features which reflect the influence of William Morris, including one based on a design by Edward Byrne-Jones. The Lady Chapel has an attractive wooden reredos designed by Martin Travers, donated by the Bloxham family in memory of their son, killed in the First World War.
This Church has become the venue of choice for several chamber groups and solo artists as well as the major venue for the Wimbledon International Music Festival. The area around St John’s Church is quiet and the building has been used for many recordings.
A map showing its location can be found here.